Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nasty surprises...

I got up this morning thinking that I would get into some routine house work done and was met by a most nasty surprise...MOULD, MOULD, MOULD!!!! Bloody mould and mildew everywhere! On the grout in between the bathroom tiles, on the window pane, on the carpet near the windows, on my bromeliad and, worst of all, spreading all over my tribal artifacts! Crap! Those sneaky little bastard spores ambushed me when I least expected them. So overwhelmed with dread and dispair that I seriously contemplated abandoning the apartment and crawling into a crack to die. After a few deep breaths, I decided that a more practical solution would be to gather my cleaning products and settle down into some serious scrubbing and cleaning and vacuuming (nate, quite conveniently, had to dash off to work). After cleaning, I headed to google for advice. No miracle cures though. I dont think I can refrain from ever cooking and showering again (evidently cooking, alone, transports 3 gallons of water into the air every day). Can't really do much about the fact that most of my apartment comprises glass either (sans double glazing which really contributes to the temperature differential and build up of condensation). I think the best thing I can do for now is get a dehumidifier. Today is not the day for buying and lugging electrical appliances. It is totally wet and gray outside. Perfect conditions for staying at home and watching the mould grow. Must ask mould-sensitive work colleague for advice on Monday (and maybe invest in some more bleach).

1 comment:

Monty said...

Bleach is the BEST thing for mould...spray it on (well, not onto your beloved Bromeliad of course) and an hour later, it's gone! Marvellous stuff! Just don't breathe! LOL