Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dead as a canary...

Nate and I are squeezed into the corner of the bar at Hairy Canary. The place was packed. It is 6.45pm and the rest of our dinner party had yet to arrive. The reservation was for 7 (as usual, we were unfashionably early). The rest of the guests turned up on time but our table was still not ready. We all squeezed into the corner of the bar (seven adults and a 3 month old baby) and waited. Eventually a waiter with a shaved mohawk-mullet came over and told us that there was a mix up and that we wouldn't get a table. Instead, he offered to walk us over to their other restaurant... The Canary Club.

Hmmm...The Canary Club. The one restaurant/bar that I had vowed never to return to. The portions at this place are ridiculously small for the extremely high prices that they command. Sure, some of the offerings are quite tasty but the last time I was there, I couldn't help but feel a little ripped off forking out 11 bucks for a slice of 'grilled' watermelon. In fact, after that last dinner, I had to go home to cook myself a bowl of 2 minute noodles (and this was after spending $40 on my meal). This time round, we ordered more substantial dishes from their menu that were touted as being large enough for two to share. Given that there were seven of us eating (the baby, fortunately, had an ad libitum supply of breast milk), we decided to order 4 serves of the 'substantial dishes' and 4 tapas for good measure. The tapas arrived first. The two serves of slow cooked lamb were very tasty. The two serves of squid, on the other hand, were miserable...3 tiny pieces on each plate, propped up with a few sprigs of rocket. With seven people eyeing off the minuscule molluscs, there wasn't even enough to go around. Then came the more 'substantial' dishes for sharing. Yeah right. "Substantial" my arse. I could easily have eaten two serves on my own. Immediately after our dinner, one of the guests remarked that she was still hungry...glad I wasn't the only one.

Don't get me wrong...I don't mind spending good money on food but the food itself has to be good and it has to be satisfying. There is nothing worse than over-priced portions of wankiness served up on a bed of greens.

No comments: