Monday, August 25, 2008

The stinky man on the tram...

I'm still learning about public transport here in Melbourne. Sure...I learnt pretty early on, for example, to always be a little bit wary of empty seats on an otherwise crowded train. I also know that one should never sit down on ANY seat without doing a visual inspection (and if necessary, a discreet touch test) for any potential wet patches.

On Saturday I learnt another new rule...beware of the stinky passenger. In the rush to get on the tram to the city, I ended up sitting behind a passenger who had obviously not showered for several weeks (perhaps he was an englishman). I thought about ignoring the smell since it was only a couple of stops before I needed to get off. Eventually, however, I was overcome by the bodily fumes, and had to get away from the smell. Unfortunately the escape was not an easy one for the stench had permeated most of the tram...fortunately, however, it was one of those extra long trams and I ended up escaping the smell by clambering over a guy in a wheelchair and pushing aside a few other passengers.

1 comment:

Muzbot said...

You've just reminded me of one of my train trips recently where I had to leave the train because the smelly man was about to make me throw up. I got off the train and ran to the other side of the platform and hurled. The.smell.was.vile.