Thursday, April 23, 2009

A note to self

I'm lucky enough to be working in my dream job. Yet, in the last few weeks, I've become a little disillusioned about what it takes to succeed in academia. Like any other profession, it helps to be strategic, to network, and to schmooze with the right people. A friend/colleague of mine is great at playing the game. I think he will go far. By contrast, I am not at all interested in getting caught up in the political wrangles. I want to be able to do my job and do it well, and I want to be able to maintain a healthy work/life balance. I want to develop and maintain genuine relationships with colleagues that are based on mutual respect. I dont ever want to make my way to the top by clambering on others. At the end of the day, I hope I can look back with my integrity intact. I can't imagine anyone aspiring to be an arsehole but boy, am I starting to see a lot of them about.

1 comment:

Victor said...

I worked in the Commonweatlh Public Service prior to my retirement and the situation was just the same there.

The networking smart talking sychophants got ahead whilst the quiet achievers bore the burden of the real work.