Monday, December 7, 2009

A few battles ahead

Caught up with three friends yesterday, each of whom appear to be facing some formidable challenges ahead.

The friend I visited in the morning with Nate just got out of hospital after suffering a stroke caused by initially undetected damage resulting from a bicycle accident many weeks earlier. She is only 33, which makes it all the more upsetting. My friend's speech is fine but she has blurry vision and seemed a little unsteady on her feet. Her outlook was very positive and it seems that the distress is coming more from the people around her. She is, however, realistic about what lies ahead in terms of recovery.

The other two friends I saw are both thinking about major career changes (one of them currently works with hearing-impaired patients, the other is a journalist). I think it's very gutsy to be able to walk away from something familiar and to push oneself in a direction that is less certain, more risky but potentially also more rewarding.

1 comment:

Cazzie!!! said...

I hope your friend sees small positive steps on a daily if no weekly basis for her recovery. It is good to have support from friends and family when it is called for too.
I have come across lots of friends going through career changes... and most of them have gone well adapting to their new choices.
I agree with you, it is pretty gutsy of them to make that change. For me, I have been trying to decide where I would like to go to next with my work, but I love working all over the hospital as a nurse, and cannot choose one place over another. I have been thinking of becoming a Clinical Teacher, so then I can continue working everywhere. Butterflies in my tummy as I type that... it is a bit scary to make a change.