Monday, December 14, 2009

Stuffed chickens and industrial lamps


This is, without a doubt, my favourite shop in Melbourne. It sells the most ecclectic collection of stuff you can possibly imagine, from taxidermied animals, bowling pins and religious icons to old lamps, african masks and laboratory glassware.

In my four years living in Melbourne, I've managed to amass a collection of really weird stuff from this shop including a marble sculpture, a bunch of old metal signs and a gigantic gable mask from Papua New Guinea. On each ocassion, it's been a real achievement haulling my purchases onto the train at Windsor station and dragging them home to my apartment in the city (all the while trying to ignore the weird looks from people along the way).

3 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Looked at the web site, I love the different goods they have in stock. I also love their front page pic. I always wonder what happened just after a photo was taken you know. The one with the two boys there, you would reckon they would have been larrikans with each other..running off and laughing :)
I do wonder what it is people have in their hands and what they are going to do with them. One day I spied a lady getting on a tram with a stuffed bird. It might've been her pet!

Victor said...

Judging from their gallery they have the Sydney Harbour Bridge on sale.

:-)

(OK; I know it is only the toy soldier for sale but one can still dream.)

Adaptive Radiation said...

Cazzie: Maybe she bought the bird from T&G.
Victor: If I ever see a live one for sale, I'll be sure to let you know.