Saturday, January 23, 2010

The rejection

I got an email the other day. It was from my friend Pete. It was a letter in regards to a job that Pete had recently applied for. By the looks of it, Pete was unsuccessful (yet again).

This is not the first time that Pete has forwarded me his rejection letters. I'm not really sure why he does it to be honest. He knows I am empathetic (we are both scientists) but I think he wants the sympathy. He likes to compare his situation with mine and, in particular, just how much more of a struggle it has been for him. But that's his point of view. I don't think he realises that it is tough for people in my chosen field of research too. I don't want to perpetuate the victim either. I've told him that to his face. I remind him of all the good things that have come his way but all he sees is the bad. I don't think I will reply to his email this time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sample reply.

Build a bridge hon. (and get over it)

Adaptive Radiation said...

That's exaclty what Nathan would say (with a few extra expletives inserted).

Evol Kween said...

It's taken years for me to take a more optimistic view on life, and its something I'm still learning to do every day.

Adaptive Radiation said...

I can definitely see improvements in Pete but it can still be emotionally draining. The psychologist he is seeing seems to reinforce his victim mentality. I don't understand why.