Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time for a new laptop?


I think it might be time to get myself a new laptop. I've had my Powerbook G4 since the end of 2003. It has travelled with me to the US and Europe when I was living overseas and has gone with me to conferences the world over. I've used it to give lectures at uni and I've dragged it to all kinds of remote places for research. It has brought me as much attention from strangers as someone with a cute baby or puppy. My mac was with me when I was still in the closet and it was there when I finally came out. The G4 has been a very reliable machine. Constant. Stable. But it's now getting old. I've taken it for granted assuming that it would last forever - but it turns out I've simply had a very good run. Yesterday it starting making a whizzing sound. And then it died. I managed to revive it but the experience has brought me back to reality.... I need to make sure I back everything up and then I need to go shopping for a new Mac. Good bye trusted friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was all ready to say, if it ain't broke...But upon further reading, it clearly is. How exciting. A new lappy. Do ask your new one to be loaded with Windows ME, the most superior operating system.

Victor said...

I'll be interested in what you decide upon. I'm toying with the idea of getting a laptop to take with me to Europe in May so I can keep 'all those wonderful people out there in the dark' informed about my experiences.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Andrew: was planning on getting another Mac so will be using the latest Mac OS.
Victor: Europe in May eh? I might see you over there! I'm planning to spend a month working on my new book in Finland.