Saturday, January 7, 2012

Getting a life

Over the Christmas break (Christmas eve to be exact), I received an email from the copy-editor of my new book. She had a list of editorial corrections she wanted addressed. I decided to hold off from passing on the email to the other authors until AFTER the new year.

Today I got an email reminder saying that she needs it by next week. I politely emailed her back reminding her that it was CHRISTMAS and that many people were on leave.

The copy editor's email got me thinking about work expectations. Most people think that university lecturers have a cushy job. I often get asked whether I have holidays when the students have holidays. The answer is 'no'. Teaching is only a small part of my job and I spend quite a bit of my time doing research (and a bunch of admin stuff too).

A few years ago, I came across this short article published in arguably the most prestigious journal in the field. It cleverly highlights a growing problem and the need for a better work-life balance among scientists.

2 comments:

Victor said...

The students struggling to meet the deadlines that teachers have set them would probably be silently pleased to learn that teachers have deadlines imposed on them too. Or maybe not.

Mann said...

Well, I think anybody who is doing what they love will just stop seeing it as 'work' and instead pour every fibre of their being into what it is they do.

It seems as if this is a requisite now to get anywhere or achieve anything really substantial. I started my work life as a web designer who worked to a point that completely stuffed over my body. The money was great but in the end, I just walked off one day and started anew. Now I have a puppy, a fiance, an apartment and a pretty good job in another field and am very happy with myself.

The balance isn't perfect but its getting there and I think I'm going about it in the right direction.