Sunday, September 9, 2012

Squid

Ok...so three food-related posts in a row must make me look like I've done precious little this weekend other than eat. And you know what, it's true. But heck, if it's blowing a gail outside, I'd much rather be in front of the kitchen conjuring up a culinary feast. So...back to the topic of this post: squid. After we left Silo, Nathan and I headed up to the Queen Vic markets. I ended up buying a couple of squid (with heads still attached), with the idea of making salt and pepper squid for lunch (the problem with eco-friendly breakfasts is that you get hungry very quickly). We brought our molluscs home and I got started on the prep work. Now, I have to admit at this point that I've only ever prepared squid once before (and I must have blocked the trauma of the experience out of my mind) but let me just say it right now...preparing squid is a friggin' bitch. I reckon this guy knows what I'm talking about:
The kitchen was plastered with ink, guts, and beaks. But it was their eyes that really got the best of me. Those advanced cephalopod eyes. I don't know how I did it, but I did manage to get some edible parts from the dismembered body sitting in the sink. These (i.e. the edible bits) were dusted in flour, paprika, salt and pepper, and lovingly fried in oil (for only a few seconds...you don't want to over-cook them). Accompanied with some mayonnaise and wedges of lemon, the squid turned into a most delectable experience after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way you describe the cooking process, I could almost be tempted to eat squid, but not quite.

Victor said...

No, I could not do it. More strength to you Ad Rad.

By the way who is this Gail that was blowing - or was it a gale? 😄

Adaptive Radiation said...

Oops...yes, it was a gale. I don't know any Gails.