Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tram works

At 3.30am on Saturday, I woke up to the sound of construction work.

At first, I thought it was coming from the new building going up next door but when I looked out the window, I realised that the construction workers were gathered around the tram tracks nearby. That made sense. No one else would get permission to carry out construction work during the middle of the night.

In the 10 years I've lived in my apartment, I think there has been two previous tram works – both of which were carried out day and night over the course of a weekend so that everything could be completed before the start of the working week.

Nathan and I had to go to a wedding in Geelong on Saturday night and I slept like a log when we got home so I was oblivious to the noise. Strangely, there was no construction work during daylight today (Sunday) but they have commenced again as evening approached. Terrific. I think I'm going to need ear plugs tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the relatively new tram tracks have to be replaced has been much discussed in certain circles. I conclude, cheap construction during the Kennett era, built on swamp land with inferior concrete. Sleep well.

Adaptive Radiation said...

It's taken a week but I think I've now caught up on the sleep.