Sunday, August 28, 2016

Eel on toast

I was feeling adventurous and bought a whole smoked eel from the Vic Markets yesterday, head and all. As with all spontaneous culinary purchases of late, I had no idea how to prepare it. Thankfully I managed to find a good tutorial on the internet.
After overcoming the initial squirmishness of handling a rubbery two foot long eel (it reminded me of one of the formalin-preserved biological specimens in our teaching laboratory), I got down to business deboning the fish, which was quite fiddly.

It was well worth the effort when I sat down this morning to enjoy the eel on freshly baked rye bread with horseradish cream. Yummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smoked is good but...eel! Do you have some Dutch blood? You put eel onto perfectly good fresh rye bread and then wasted horseradish. Actually, in my teens I did eat smoked eel and it wasn't so bad. I could eat it, but I have no desire to.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Yes...eel can be quite a polarising fish. It is definitely an acquired taste, although the smoked stuff is far from offensive...it tastes just like anything else that is smoked (i.e. smoky).