Monday, September 12, 2016

The L word

My friend from Finland is in love...with an Australian. He is currently back in Europe and just told me he got shortlisted for an interview in the UK. It would be a 3 year research fellowship position, a terrific opportunity. Frankly, I think it will be a dream job. But he wants to come back to Australia.

Fine by me, I told him. It would be great to have him here but I can only afford to employ him for a few months at the start of next year so not so great for him from a job security perspective. He says he'll come....job or no job. Love really does make us do crazy things. I told him to keep mum about the whole Australia thing in the job interview. The selection panel doesn't need to know. And if he gets offered the job, he can always try to negotiate a later start date.