Friday, March 7, 2008

Mardi gras highlights...



In my limited experiences to date, the highlight of going to Sydney for the gay and lesbian mardi gras has definitely not been mardi gras itself. In 2006, for example, I decided to go for sushi before the actual parade and by the time I finished, the crowds had swelled to such an extent that the only spot I managed to find along the entire parade route was right at the end where the floats turn off all their bright lights and cheery music. Then, in 2007, I thought I'd give the gras another go and made plans well in advance to get to Sydney. And once again, I ended up prioritizing food. This time I ditched the parade altogether, and settled for beef of another kind. Prime angus to be exact, chargrilled to rare perfection at a steakhouse in the CBD. No, the highlight of mardi gras for me has definitely not been the mardi gras so far. The Archibald Prize for Portraiture at the Art Gallery of NSW comes a close second (after food). It's always exciting to see just what makes it on the walls (and there is always controversy to boot). I didn't get to Sydney this year (having given up on the idea of finding a good vantage point to see the mardi gras) but I did check out the archibald finalists on the net. Today, they announced the winner. Hmmmm....

2 comments:

Monty said...

Where did you go for your Prime Angus steak? Was it to Kingsleys? :-)

Adaptive Radiation said...

I had forgotten the name of the restaurant but now that you mentioned it, I do believe it was Kingsley's.