Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gursky, sushi and the brain scooper


To try and escape the heat yesterday, Nathan and I visited the National Gellery of Victoria to check out the photographic exhibition of Andreas Gursky. Wow! His giant photos are absolutely mind blowing. Gursky, a German photographer, holds the record for the highest price paid for a photographic work by a living artist. It's easy to see why. I must admit I haven't really been into photography all that much but this exhibition gave me a whole new appreciation of the artform.

Afterwards, we wandered back to Flinder's Street and caught a tram to a second hand furniture shop on Swan Street where I picked up this nice little marble-topped side table for the balcony. It's called the 'trace' and is manufactured by Naughtone... A cute litle piece of British design for outside. Can't wait for Melbourne to get cool enough (but not so cool) so we can sit outside and sip cold drinks in the evenings.


The table wasn't the only thing I bought. The last time I was at the shop, I saw an unusual long wooden implement from PNG with the image of a man carved on top and four sharp prongs on the bottom. This time, I saw it again and asked the shop manager what it was. Evidently, it's a tool used by headhunters for scooping out brains. It now sits on top of my fridge (Might come in handy one day).

Caught up with some friends for dinner. Finally was introduced to a really nice Japanese restaurant in Melbourne actually owned and operated by Japanese people. The sushi was fantastic and so was the conversations at the table. I spent most of the evening talking to a pair of criminologists (I had a niggling feeling that the guy was profiling me the whole time).

3 comments:

K said...

Thanks for the heads up on Home Furniture On Consignment, will definitely check it out. I'm still looking for a coffee table and entertainment unit. I saw some really nice Poliform pieces on their website. What do you think of this round coffee table?

Anonymous said...

mmmm immloving your table!

Adaptive Radiation said...

Ky: I love the table. Poliform do really nice stuff. i wish I wasn't such a design fanatic. I need deeper pockets.
Tom: Thanks. You can buy a new one for about 600 pound stirling. There is no way I would ever buy one for that price but it still cost an arm (and half a leg). The prices they put on some of these things are just ridiculous.