Monday, December 24, 2007

collector's corner




I have a rather small apartment in Melbourne which meant I had to leave a bunch of my stuff at my parents' place in Canberra. I'm not talking about trivial things like books and clothes. The stuff I'm referring to is far more substantial than that. I'm talking about a couple of large tanks of tropical fish, a pet cockatoo, the odd bonsai (or four), some carnivorous plants, a ton of fossils, and a greenhouse full of tropical orchids. To my parent's credit (and my complete shame for dumping the responsibility on them), they have not only managed to keep most of the live stuff alive but, in some instances, have had better success coaxing things to thrive under their care. A classic example is my Vanda denisoniana which I have had for over 10 years. I came back to Canberra on this latest trip to see it in full bloom. I've had the bloody thing for 10 years and not once have I managed to get it to flower for me. Grrrr...

No comments: