Thursday, April 3, 2008

The China incident

Last night I went to see a play at the Malthouse Theatre called "The China Incident" (written and directed by Peter Houghton and performed by Anne Browning). It had been a very long time since I last saw a play, so I was extremely excited when Nate got free tickets to the performance (though I did have to rush home first to check on the state of the apartment following the high winds yesterday). The play was essentially a one woman monologue and I was particularly impressed that the performer managed to remember all her lines during the one-hour long performance. The story revolves around a woman juggling work (which involves giving advice to an African dictator, the President of the United States, and the UN) and a developing family crisis. There are limited props here...many different-coloured telephones, a lap top computer, a desk and a Corbusier chair (though the designer chair was not key to the story, it was especially noteworthy to a design freak such as myself). Nate, I think, enjoyed the heavy use of offensive language so I guess we both liked the play.

No comments: