Friday, May 23, 2008

Fits and giggles

I know I shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortunes but what I witnessed this afternoon could easily have been in a comedy sketch. And I only laughed afterwards when I was well away from the situation so that makes it ok (except for the people who saw me giggling to myself uncontrollably...I'm not sure what they were thinking but they kept a wide berth on the foot path).

I was at a work-related course today and during the afternoon tea break, the seven people in attendance were all standing around the coffee machine, eating buscuits and chatting amongst ourselves. Suddenly, I hear a girlish shreak. It was the plump english history professor. He had somehow managed to spill a cup of tea all down the front of his jumper and was bent over double like an inverted letter "L" frozen in place for what seemed like an eternity, busily flapping his jumper to try and cool the spilt tea. No one knew what to do so we all stood around watching him trying to distance his body as best as he could from his wet jumper. Eventually, a couple of people had to help him remove his suit jacket and jumper. It wasn't terribly funny at the time but somehow, 2 hours later, I got into a giggling fit....the girlish shreak, the flapping arms, the two innocent bystanders tugging at the professor's clothes. It was all too much for me.

No comments: