Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Footy fever (not)

Went to my first AFL game last Friday... North Melbourne versus Geelong. Thought it was high time to try to immerse myself in the spirit of what it means to be a Melburnian. And after seeing hoards of people streaming out of the Dome every weekend during footy season for the last 2.5 years, I guess I was curious to see what the fanatacism is all about.

Wow...what an eye opener. People are AFL crazy in this town and it's not just the blokes either. I was rather bemused to see little old ladies sitting on knitted cusions in their team colours. How bizarre. I, of course, was keen to engage in another footy tradition (stereotype)... at the start of the second half, I ducked out to the food outlet and bought myself a meat pie which I then proceeded to coat in tomato sauce. A jam doughnut followed, and I was satisfied. And, by the end of the game, so were my Geelong-supporting companions.

2 comments:

Monty said...

Best thing about going to live footy games is perving on the footballers - hot well-built men, running around in tight shorts and t-shirts, getting sweaty! mmmmm....! ;-)

Monty said...

Mate, I do actually like watching footy for the game itself...the hot boys are just a highly pleasant bonus! ;-)