Monday, July 14, 2008

The spectacles

I feel really awkward going to the optometrist and buying new frames. My problem is that it is near impossible for me to pick out frames that I like. Sure, they look good in the hand (when I have my existing prescription glasses on) but when I go to put them on my face, I have difficulties seeing how they look and I end up feeling rather silly with my nose up to the mirror trying to compensate for my short-sightedness. The bloody sales people are useless. Talk about conflict of interest. I often get the impression that they are trying to exploit our visual impairments by recommending the most hideous frames in their stores. And what is it with sales people that are not, themselves, visually challenged? What about maintaining (at least) a perception that the sales person actually knows what they are doing?

Salesman: "What are you looking for?"

Me: "Something with thicker rims"

Salesman: "Try these. They're rimless."

Me: "Oh. Ok.... How do they look?"

Salesman: "Great. They sit very well on your face."

Me: "What about these ones?" (pointing to the style that I was actually thinking of).

Salesman: "Ahhh...Yes... they actually look better"

No comments: