Thursday, July 10, 2008

Waterfront and cocktails

My cousins are visiting from Sydney. They decided to take the scenic drive down the east coast of Australia and reached Melbourne at 1.30 am on Wednesday. I guess it wasn't terribly scenic after all... driving in the dark. I left them to their own devices during the day and caught up with them for dinner. It's been ages seen I last hung out with them... in fact, I hadn't seen my cousins since mardi gras in Sydney last year when I ended up ditching mardi gras to go and eat steak at Kingsleys.

I decided to take them to the Waterfront on Southbank last night which does a pretty satisfying 900 gram aged rib eye plus tons of fresh seafood. The only downside to that restaurant was the staff. The maitre'd is a surly indian man who looks like one of the many barramundi swimming around in the fish tank at the front of the restaurant...He seems to have a perpetual frown on his face and I am now beginning to suspect that he may lack the pivotal facial muscles needed to smile. Normally the wait staff are much nicer but we ended up with an overly pushy asian guy who insisted on pouring me a glass of wine that I didn't want to drink....I felt like clobbering him with the giant king crab sitting on the front counter (though, at $85 per 1/2 kilo, it was a temptation I decided to resist). Fortunately, the meal was as delight.

Afterwards, we headed across the CBD to the Sofitel hotel for drinks. I had never been to the Sofitel before and it was plush, plush, plush. Wow! Talk about a view. And that's just from the toilets! Wall to ceiling glass beside the urinals made for a rather interesting peeing experience. The cocktails at the bar weren't half bad either.

By the time we had finished checking out the toilets and consuming our beverages at the bar, it was already quite late. There were no more trams in service so we decided to stroll back across the city. All in all, it was a rather pleasant way to spend a Wednesday night.

No comments: