Thursday, August 7, 2008

Qantas has gone cheap and nasty

So...not only are Qantas planes getting old and tired but it seems that the quality of their brand has also gone down hill (to maximize profits?). I deliberately packed my toothbrush and toothpaste into the check in baggage this time round because I had expected the usual bag of amenity goodies on the plane (socks, eye mask and disposable toothbrush and toothpaste in economy). Unfortunately for me (and the guy sitting next to me from LAX to BOS who had to put up with my raspy breath), they only handed out the socks. Sure...in an environmentally conscious times, we should be thinking more about cutting down on waste but I dont think it was an environmental decision (at least not judging by all the plastic wrappers they use for cutlery, blankets etc). No...I think that they have simply gone 'el cheapo'. Even the ice cream was not the magnum that I was accustomed to (but pineapple splice) and the snack bag carried none of the familiar treats of years gone past (like kit kats). And the salad I had with my meal was covered in mould!!!

Still, I must admit that Qantas is a long way off from turning into its one world ally, American Airlines. Not only do you have to pay for food but the flight attendants were more interested in discussing shopping opportunities in Boston than serving their customers.

No comments: