Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Riding the sushi train


I got back into the city quite late last night and wasn't really in the mood for cooking so I made Nathan meet me at Flinder's Street Station and we headed off to a sushi place on Swanston street. the place we went is one of those sushi train restaurants where you sit at a big communal table and pick out the plates of sushi moving past you along a conveyor belt system.

There are two things that one needs to be careful about at these kinds of sushi establishments. First, one should mindful of the possible risk of food poisoning, as you never really can tell just how long a bit of raw fish might have been circulating on the conveyor belt. Second, there is the danger of overeating. Fortunately, I can say that neither Nathan nor I got sick from last night's meal. However, we did end up paying an arm and a leg because we (well, mostly me) got greedy and just kept eating and eating and eating. You know you've eaten an impressive amount when the chef decides to offer you complimentary dessert. If I'm going to fork out $82 for sushi next time, I think I'd rather fork it out at a more fancy Japanese restaurant.

1 comment:

K said...

Yes, sushi train can be a bit dangerous on the wallet. It's best to plan out a limit before you start.

As for how fresh the sushi are, most sushi train restaurants worth their salt will throw away dishes that have been on the belt for a certain amount of time.

Alternatively, you can always special order a dish that is not on the belt then you will be guaranteed to get something fresh.