Friday, May 11, 2012

Scandinavia x 3

Looks like I'll be visiting Scandinavia quite a bit this year. Having already visited Sweden earlier this year, I'll be there again for a conference in a couple of months. Then, out of the blue, I got contacted by a colleague from Norway asking me to be the 'opponent' on his student's PhD thesis defense at the end of the year. I've never been to Norway before and, even though it will be cold at that time of year, I am very tempted. I would want to make a stop over in Oslo so I can visit my Norwegian friend (a girl I met on the train when she was working here in Melbourne). I know it is not politically correct but I am also intrigued about the possibility of eating some whale (still undecided on that). Apparently hunting whales in Norway is very tightly regulated and is actually a sustainable fishery so I harbour less guilt about eating it there than say, eating tuna, here.

2 comments:

Victor said...

Have you been far enough north to see the 'lights'? Apparently they have been fascinating this year.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Unfortunately not. But I wonder if I might be far enough north for it in late November. The place I am going is in northern Norway.