Sunday, June 23, 2013

sea change

I have friends, a couple, who have given up their regular jobs and, for the last few years, have been travelling on a sail boat with their baby (now a toddler). They started in the US, have gone down to Central America and are currently in French Polynesia. I wonder how their kid is taking all of this?...it must be an amazing experience for a young child to be immersed in something as routine that most of us will never ever get the chance (or the courage) to experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is normally not much memory of before the age of four, which is a pity.

Victor said...

I wonder if there will be any method in its later years of measuring the impact of this infancy on the child compared with the more usual upbringing?

Adaptive Radiation said...

Andrew: it would be a pity. Such an amazing experience.

Victor: I think it would be hard to disentangle. Even after the boat adventure, I reckon the kid will be exposed to a very unconventional upbringing. I'm sure he'll be well adjusted though.