Sunday, May 10, 2015

Pine mushrooms

It might seem like I'm obsessed with mushrooms at the moment – and that's probably because I am. It is Autumn after all (and the only good thing to come out of the damp weather).

I came across these beauties at the South Melbourne Markets yesterday. They are pine mushrooms and they are a beautiful bright orange (my crappy computer camera doesn't do them any justice). They are also super tasty. I cooked them up for brekky this morning.

I've seen these mushrooms before but did not fully appreciate their culinary qualities. My folks live near a pine forest in Canberra and I remember seeing old (European) ladies foraging for them many years ago when I was walking through the forest trails. Now I wish I was back in Canberra so I can go looking for them.

No comments: