Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pain in the gut

It seems that every time I've had to travel overseas for work in the past three years, there has been some kind of medical issue. Gout. Heart scares. That kind of stuff.

So...it shouldn't really come as a surprise that with a scheduled work trip to the UK later this month I find myself typing this post in hospital.

The reason for my predicament is truly bizarre.

It all started two weeks ago with lunch at a Greek restaurant in Oakleigh. I ordered the grilled snapper. It was delicious.

Then, this past Monday, I started to feel a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen. Hoping it would go away, I waited three days before visiting the GP. He suggested it could be muscular or an infection. He placed me on antibiotics. He also ordered n ECG because my heart beats suggested I may be in atrial fibrillation (a pre-exiting issue). This was on Thursday.

Yesterday, my GP calls me and tells me to go to Emergency. He confirmed I was in atrial fibrillation and was concerned my abdominal pain could have been linked (i.e. blood clot).

Well, it wasn't a blood clot. It was that snapper I ate two weeks ago. A CT scan reveals an object (most likely a fish bone) that appears to have made its way outside my digestive system (i.e. pierced through the intestine) and lodged itself in some fat in my abdomen. Terrific.

Talking to the surgeon today.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awful but at least not heart problems. 'Nurse, we will slice here, and bring a bucket'. Good luck with it.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Thanks Andrew.

Victor said...

Well, thankfully not so bad after the initial concerns. Just as well this happened now rather than as you were boarding your flight.

Under other circumstances I might have thought you would go to any extreme to avoid catching up with me in Melbourne! Hopefully your trip and plans will go ahead.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Thanks Victor. Already bummed I won't be seeing you on this trip and now I have even more stuff I need to do this weekend before the flight. Surgeon said I'm cleared to fly.