Saturday, February 4, 2017

On hands and knees

Don't get the wrong idea.

I've spent a week stuck in my apartment because of a nasty gout flare up. At its worst, I was having to crawl on my hands and knees to get to and from the bathroom.

The week in bed did allow me to catch up on a lot of movies and I kinda went crazy watching queer movies (I exhausted half of our download limit for the month). Three stand outs for me were FreefallStrangers by the Lake, and Weekend

I also watched an interesting documentary called Do I Sound Gay? The latter was particularly surprising because I didn't expected to see my old (American) boss and colleague in the documentary.

My old boss is most definitely not gay (though he does have a very strong lisp). He also happens to be (along with his wonderful wife) one of the very first people I ever came out to, but that's another story.

Anyhow, it turns out that my former boss is the documentary filmmaker's cousin and made a cameo in the film. I emailed him to let him know that I saw him in a doco and he said that if he knew he was going to be an international star, he would have made a bit more effort to comb his hair on the day of the filming.



2 comments:

Victor said...

Now that I am signed up to streaming services I am pleased to see they offer some LGBTI selections although I feel most of them have very tame claims to that category. Is it too much to expect some harder hitting offerings? In your face mainstream hetero movies are screened as a matter of course nowadays.

Adaptive Radiation said...

I'm seeing a lot of very similar themes in the movies too (closeted gay man with girlfriend/wife; coming of age story etc). Still, a few were surprisingly graphic.