Monday, March 20, 2017

Monday morning drama

I ended up in hospital this morning. I was on my way to work and decided to take the stairs up to Collins Street. This is something I do almost every day but today I was in atrial fibrillation.

The actual climb up was fine but when I reached Collins Street and started to make my way towards the train station, I found it increasingly hard to catch my breath and started to black out. I had to lean against a wall to steady myself and it didn't get any better so I had to sit on the sidewalk. I then felt really unwell and ended up calling an ambulance. My shirt was soaked in sweat.

The ambulance arrived but was on the other side of the street so I asked a guy in a suit to help me flag it down. He made a half arsed attempt and then continued on his way. I guess he was eager to get to work. I ended up stopping a lady for help instead and the ambulance eventually found me.

The paramedics were terrific and had a great sense of humour. I was initially reluctant to go to hospital but they talked me into it. It was my first time at the Royal Melbourne. The facilities there seem to be much better than my last visit to Cabrini. A couple of hours later, my heart returned to normal rhythm and I got to go home.

Too much drama for a Monday in my opinion!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been alarming. I've just remembered something similar happened to me years ago when walking in a suburban street. I sat it out on someone's fence. It was partly to do with not having eaten for while. Shortly later Bone Doctor checked my racing pulse and thought I would be ok.

Adaptive Radiation said...

The paramedic did also check my sugar levels but they were fine. Am now just relaxing at home watching crappy daytime tv.

Victor said...

Look after yourself AdRad. That breathlessness can ba alarming.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Will do. Thanks Victor.