Monday, January 14, 2008

Phillip Island



Last Friday, I packed my bags and headed off to Phillip Island with my mate Phil (yes, I have a friend named Phillip who lives on Phillip Island). Phil bought a place there a few months ago and I had been dying to get out there ever since (having never been to Phillip Island before). I must say, it was an awesome weekend and I absolutely fell in love with the place. Phil has a great pad with a backyard full of bird-attracting native plants. It was great to wake up in the morning to a chorus of singing birds (instead of the more familiar sounds of city traffic and construction work). Although I packed my laptop with me, unlike most weekends when I have to bring work 'home', I actually felt very productive and managed to get quite a bit done without feeling that I had 'wasted' my leisure time on work. Throughout the weekend, Phil took me around the island to some of his favourite (and most picturesque) surfing beaches. It is hard to describe just how completely exhilarating it was to have the cool, salty sea breeze blowing against your face and to be able to absorb the expansive views of the big blue sky, the rolling waves and the surfers bobbing around with the currents out at sea. I was in a total zen state the whole time I was there (and managed to avoid seeing a single penguin). Apart from the sight-seeing, we also did some work on Phil's garden, went to a couple of garage sales, and even took in a trip to the island's bonsai nursery. Inspiring. A highlight was going out to the nobbies and seeing the seagulls nesting among the creeping succulents that had taken over the cliff face. It was truly a splendid weekend away. I felt totally relaxed and charged for the week ahead. Bring it on...

No comments: