Sunday, January 4, 2009

I survived Ikea

In a momentary lapse of stupidity, I was quickly reminded that Ikea on a Sunday afternoon is not for the faint-hearted. The escalator up to the entrance was crammed with eager shoppers (mostly in the form of young families with cumbersome prams and/or screaming kids). I should have turned around. I didn't. Instead, I join the other foolish idiots and head upstairs. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. I entertain the idea of ordering swedish meatballs at the restautrant even though I had already had lunch (I blame Muzbot). I resist temptation and mozie downstairs. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. I find my tealights and head to the check out.

7 comments:

Campbell said...

Well done you brave man! I still get lost in there.

The Mutant said...

I certainly wouldn't have the patience for that. I can't stand Ikea, although seeing the toned boys on their way to and from Fitness First makes any visit to Vic Gardens much more toleratble!

The Mutant said...

*tolerable even!

Catastrophe Waitress said...

oh i do love the ikea!
with her seductively displayed wares - making me think that if only i had that lack shelving and those basket thingies and ... well you get the picture.
oh to be Swedish!

Victor said...

I had a panic attack on my first visit to Ikea's Sydney store one Sunday shortly after it opened. The crowds were horrendous and I pushed and shoved my way against the tide trying to find a quick way out but was defeated by the flow.

I have returned but only on weekdays when the store is quieter. I haven't as yet tried the meatballs. Muzbot has a lot to answer for.

Monty said...

Oh foolish boy! Sunday arvo at Ikea is official "bring your brats" day every week! LOL I'm seriously impressed by your determination! :-)

Adaptive Radiation said...

Campbell, Victor and Monty: I will learn for next time.

Mutant: I didn't even realise there was a fitness first at Vic Gardens...I was too busy trying not to step on any children (what is it with kids....they seem to have a habit of running into adults).

Projectivist: Swedish design rocks. I recently bought a most amazing piece of fabric with funky green birds when I was in Stockholm a few months ago...I try not to do the conversion from Swedish Crowns to Aussie dollars though (I think it would give me a heart attack).