Friday, November 18, 2011

Sydney

Nathan and I are in Sydney for a break. The main purpose for our visit is to attend a friend's house warming party on Saturday night. It's a themed party...Hawaii. I'm not a big fan of dress up parties. I thought about buying a Hawaiian shirt but couldn't justify paying for something that I would never wear again (I've done that before). I thought about making something clever out of cardboard and going as either a pineapple or tropical fish but I'm not that clever and, frankly, couldn't be bothered doing craft in the hotel room. So today, I bought a pair of pyjama shorts with a Hawaiian print. I'm not sure I've thought this through properly (i.e. wearing pyjamas to a party). Nevertheless, I bought them because I figure I can always wear them over summer.

Nathan and I actually arrived in Sydney yesterday. We saw the new Picasso exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW. Although I was really keen to see the exhibition, I'm not one who spends hours inside an exhibition. We were in and out in 20 minutes. I thought it was excellent though.

Today we headed off to the fish market and gorged on tuna, salmon and kingfish sashimi, followed by some grilled blue eye, salt and pepper king prawns, and half a dozen oysters. I would have eaten more but Nathan insisted that I had eaten enough and dragged me off to the new Adriano Zumbo store at Star. We also visited the top of the sydney tower. I'm not sure if I've ever been up there before (might have done so as a child). The view was amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somebody close to me has been bothering me about the Picasso exhibition. Like you, we would be in and out within twenty minutes. Oysters, yum. Look forward to seeing you on Melbourne streets in your Hawaiian jim jams.

Victor said...

I've developed a phobia about heights as I have aged. I don't know why as I can't think of any awful suppressed experience involving heights from my past.

The last time I went up Sydney Tower was as host to an interstate guest and I couldn't bring myself to stand anywhere near the windows which rather misses the whole point of the experience.

I even panicked slightly going up the elevator as the time taken for that journey only impressed on my nervous mind just how high we were travelling.

Oddly though I am finding air travel much more comfortable nowadays than I did about 15 years ago when I went through a similar phobia also because of heights.