Thursday, December 22, 2011

Canberra

Am back in Canberra for Christmas. This afternoon, I went out to the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve with some European visitors to show them some kangaroos.

Unexpectedly, it turned out to be quite a nostalgic trip for me and brought up memories of visiting the reserve when I was a kid and being traumatised by the emus (which were extremely bold in stealing food from children). This time 'round, the emus seemed much more subdued and left us alone. The highlight though was seeing a platypus, which was the first one I had ever encountered in the wild.

2 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Wow! any images of the platypus? My kids love seeing the animals when we are out camping. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year :) Send us some fire works will you? lol

Adaptive Radiation said...

All I saw was a brown blur break the surface of the pond so you and the kids have probably seen more of the animal than me.

Wishing you and family a great Xmas too ;-)