Sunday, December 18, 2011

the generic brunette

I am TERRIBLE with recognising people at the best of times but I have come to realise that there is a particular phenotype that get's me muddled more than any other...the average brunette with shoulder length hair. This realisation came in the form of a very embarrassing incident on tropical island no. 2 last week, where I was supervising students on marine biology projects. Ten minutes after meeting with my group, I was in the dining hall and decided to sit next to a bunch of students. We struck up a conversation and I asked one of them what project she was doing. She looked at me with a horrified look and said "I'm in your group"!

1 comment:

Victor said...

Oh dear, you just feel like crawling away don't you.

I had a similar experience just a couple of weeks ago when I failed to recognise the (also brunette coincidently) wife of a former colleague. To make things worse she reminded me I had recently attended to her at the hospital.