Monday, March 26, 2012

coincidences

About 2 years ago, I got a friend request on facebook from a guy I didn't know. This happens from time to time (mostly undergraduate students who want to be my friend...a definite no no). But this guy was different – even though I had no idea who he was, we had several friends in common (plus, he looks like Hugh Jackman). What confused me most was that our mutual friends bridge several of my existing friendship circles. Who the hell was this guy? I decided I would ignore his friend request.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. I am on my way back to Canberra (from Melbourne via Sydney) to deal with the leaky fish tank. I am sitting in the aisle seat in the emergency row. Another passenger needs to get to the window seat and as he does, looks at me with surprise and calls out to me by name. Turns out it was the facebook guy (I still didn't know who the hell he was).

Anyhow, we start chatting and it turns out that he had just arrived back to Oz from Europe and was on his way back to Canberra for a week. So let's look at the series of coincidental events that led to this unusual meeting....

ME:
1. Aquarium in Canberra springs a leak. Decided at the last minute to go back to fix it.
2. Only available flight using frequent flyer points has me flying to Canberra via Sydney.
3. Asked for (and was granted) exit row seat (seat 11D).

FACEBOOK GUY:
1. Invited to a wedding in Canberra.
2. Decides to go to Australia for a week.
3. Gets seat 11F (no one sits in 11E so we get to chat).

Same flight, same day, same row. Coincidence?

1 comment:

Victor said...

A four letter word, Ad Rad

F A T E