Thursday, November 29, 2012

large tasty mammals...Norwegian style

I am finding it exceedingly difficulty to settle into the time zone on this visit. Anyhow, what better way to whittle away the wee hours of the morning than to update one's blog. I left Oslo yesterday for the beautiful city of Trondheim. So far, even though I am here in Norway for work, I must say that the visit has been a real culinary treat. The seafood here is magnificent...they even have whale on the menu. Apparently, whale is very tasty but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to eating it (even though its meant to be a tightly regulated and sustainable fishery in Norway). Anyhoo... speaking of large tasty mammals, I had moose for dinner last night. I was told by my hosts that it was a roast leg of moose. Actually, it was a portion of the leg of a moose (I'd imagine an actual leg of moose would have had difficulty fitting into their oven). Talk about yum. I had no idea the meat would be so tender. It was flavourful, melt-in-your-mouth and juicy...everything you could possibly want out of a piece of meat (the secret, apparently, is to cook it on very low heat). Anyhow, I have been assured that the culinary ventures will continue this morning...evidently the hotel I am staying at does the best breakfast in Norway but alas, I still have two hours to kill before the restaurant is open.

2 comments:

Victor said...

I think I'd rather not be told what I am eating in those circumstances.

It reminds when I had to attend a 'snake dinner' in Hong Kong in the early 1980s. I dreaded the anticipation of it for months but when it came to the actual night, the meal was delicious.

Adaptive Radiation said...

I find it useful to tell myself that, chances are, it'll probably taste like chicken.

The only time that has ever failed me was when I ate goat's testicles n Mexico (which most definitely DID NOT taste like chicken).