Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sydney

I went up to Sydney on Wednesday to meet up with a colleague who is here from Europe for two months. We spent a couple of days hanging out (and doing some work in cafes) before taking the train back to Melbourne on Friday. I had never done the trip between Sydney and Melbourne by train so I thought it'd be nice to give it a go. For the most part, it was quite a pleasant (albeit long) 11 hour journey. I even enjoyed the meal I ordered (a spinach and ricotta cannelloni).

I remember a train trip when I was a kid between Sydney and Canberra. Back then, smoking was still allowed in designated carriages and I recall ending up in a smoking carriage (I think all the non smoking carriages were full) and, at some point during the trip, I had to use the curtain next to my window seat as a mask to try to filter out the smoke.

2 comments:

Victor said...

Friends recently made the Brisbane to Sydney all day journey. Toilets became blocked, food and water ran out. Not a very good journey.

Adaptive Radiation said...

We really need to get some action going on high speed rail linking the east coast capitals. Compared to Europe, our trains are prehistoric.